How can burnt tongue, throat and esophagus be treated after having hot soup?

Dr. Riddhi Shah

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 7 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Drank too hot broth burnt tongue throat chest all the way down what to take
Answered by Dr. Riddhi Shah 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Drink cold liquids.

Detailed Answer:
Hi,thank you for posting your query on health care magic.

I can understand your concern.

It is important to cool down your burned tissue(of tongue,throat,food pipe-esophagus,airway) to prevent further damage and you can do it by drinking something cold immediately after burning throat from hot food.

You can take following measures:
Drink ice water and be sure to hold it in your mouth for some time and then swallow it.
Sucking on popsicle or ice cubes for half an hour will also help the irritated areas.
Having some cold milk, yogurt,etc will also help in this situation because the dairy products coat your throat and mouth and provide your body with time to repair the damaged tissue.
Gargle with saltwater to reduce pain.
Avoid any foods that are hot, sharp, spicy, sour, crunchy or crisp .
Drink plenty of fluids, especially plain, cool water, during the day
Have a spoon or two of honey, as it eases irritation and regenerates burned tissue.

You may get relief by taking following medicines:
Analgesic and Anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen-it will help in reducing the pain and also inflammation caused due to hot liquid,
Antacid like Pantoprazole-to protect from acid reflux related further inflammation,
Anesthetic Oral gel-like Lignocaine oral gel-it will help in reducing the pain.

In most cases,your symptoms will improve within 3 days.
If your symptoms does not seem to get any better within 3 or 4 days or you suffer from Breathing problems,fever,etc in spite of following the treatment steps mentioned above, it is important that you consult a doctor.

Hope this answers your question.I would be happy to answer if you have any follow-up questions.Get well soon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana