How can burns on the hand be treated after soaking it in cold water?

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 4 Sep 2018 in Accident and Emergency
Question: i burned my hand by picking up a hot pan that had been in a 450 degree oven and lett go i put my hand under cld water and have it soaking rt now...what to do next
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Apply local cream

Detailed Answer:

It is good that you have immediately put your hand under cold water.This will reduce the inflammation to a considerable extent.Application of ice packs will help even better.You may expect a fluid filled bleb over the burnt area that would remain for at least 4-5 days.

Avoid friction or application of anything hot on the affected area.Apply local soothing creams over the burn part.Silver Sulphadiazine creams and Mupirocin ointment are the best local applicants.

Take antibiotics orally for 3 days. Do not try to burst open the bleb forcefully by squeezing or pricking it by needle/pin. Instead,let it settle down on its own.If these measures do not help,consult your nearest doctor immediately.

I hope the answer was useful.

Kind regard,
Dr. Mahaveer Patil,
Orthopaedic Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana