How can breast cancer be treated despite undergoing chemotherapy?

Dr. Monish De

Oncologist

Posted on Wed, 5 Sep 2018 in Cancer
Question: I have satge 2 breast cancer. Im on chemotheraphy now and then I will habe a surgery.
Im Her2 positive. Can you tell me your opinion what kind of treatment I need?

Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Monish De 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chemotherapy, surgery, targeted therapy, radiation, hormonal treatment.

Detailed Answer:

Since you are having stage 2 breast cancer it means at this stage the cancer is larger than stage I cancers and have spread to a few nearby lymph nodes.

Treatment of stage 2 breast cancer consist of surgery and radiation therapy, often along with chemotherapy or other drug therapies either before or after surgery.

Since you are Her 2 positive you will need targeted therapy along with chemotherapy.

So ideal treatment plan for you is 4 doses of chemotherapy which you already had with AC to reduce the tumour size then surgery followed by 3 doses chemotherapy and targeted therapy then radiation and hormonal treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Monish De 6 hours later
What is the 3 doses of chemotheraphy you sugest? Also, what is the drag for targeted therapy?
My doctor is okanning to give me 12 weekly taxol plus herceptin and parjeta. I did some reaserch and adding parjeta for stage 2 breast cancer add just very little benefit but cause heart damage.
I dont want to have parjeta herceptin and taxol together and planning to say no for parjeta. Since I dont want to have heart problems and heart attack in couple of years. Please, give me advice as you would give your own family members. I have theee little kids. Im immigrant and had such a hard life now adding this problems. I would like to raise my own kids.
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Monish De 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
3 doses of chemotherapy with Docetaxel.

Detailed Answer:

Parjeta contains pertuzumab and herceptin contains trastuzumab

Both these targeted therapies can cause in subclinical and clinical cardiac failure manifesting as decreased left ventricular ejection fraction and congestive heart failure.

Before administering these drugs doing echocardiography which checks your heart condition is very necessary.

Out of the two trastuzumab is less cardiotoxic.

Since you do not want any heart problem in future my choice of 3 doses of chemotherapy would be docetaxel at 21 days interval for 3 cycles.

If you want to add targeted therapy then you can go with Herceptin and Docetaxel.

Adding targeted therapy with chemotherapy reduces the chance of recurrence of breast cancer to about 35%.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Monish De
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj