Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

How can bloody diarrhea and abdominal cramps be treated? I have IBS.

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 4036 Questions
Friday, 5/6 I ate a steak for dinner that I assume was not cooked correctly and @ 4 that morning woke up with abdominal cramps and diaharra that turned into bloody diaharra, and then just blood and mucus, but that stopped at 11 p.m 5/7. Sunday and Monday I ate ligthly, but today I have been having diaharra throughout the day and need to know if I need to seek medical attention. I have been drinking plently of water. I'm 32, female, 5'8 weigh 278. I do have IBs, but have not had this happen to me before.
Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

Thanks for the query.

After going through the description provided by you, I am of the opinion that you might be suffering with an Acute Gastroenteritis due to consumption of uncooked food causing bacterial infections or an acute exacerbation of IBS.

It would be better to seek medical attention as to examine and evaluate you completely. Few investigations like routine Blood and Urine tests and Stools for culture and sensitivity might be done.

As you had a symptom free period in between the two episodes, It point more towards Acute exacerbation of IBS but would be difficult to rule out pathogenic infection without investigations.

The required treatment would be antibiotics and anti inflammatory medicines along with re hydrating solutions accordingly depending upon the cause.

Meanwhile, consume light and small frequent meals as you are already doing, drink plenty of fluids and adequate rest.

Hope this answers your query, I am available for the follow ups.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor