question-icon

How can blackened and chipped toenails be treated?

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2019
Question: My 22 yr. grandson showed me his feet and both of his big toe nail 's are falling off, about 3 weeks ago he said
the right one started turning black and receding from the nail bed for no reason now the other is all white and he said it is falling off. I am at a loss?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:

Possible diagnosis: Gangrene

Detailed Answer:

The symptoms you described is concerning for possible gangrene. Gangrene is tissue death and can occur due to infection, trauma, decreased blood supply etc.

No matter whatever the case, it is a medical emergency. So please be advised to go to the nearest emergency room as soon as possible.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Lekshmi Rita Venugopal, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal