Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

How can back pain due to injury be relieved?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
i fell last month,off bus at XXXXXXX Space Center. I sprained ankle, later through MRI found fluid on my knee, I have been having severe back pain in my lower back since this event, My back MRI is my concern. I have NEVER had lower back pain before. The MRI reads as follows
l2-l3 Normal,
L3 l4 demonstrates mild loss of normal disc signal intensity an posterior disc height.No significant disc herniation.
l4-l5 demonstrates mild loss of posterior disc height.
There is a small central disc protrusion and annular tear with out mass effect. There is mild bilateral facet hypertrophy.
L5-S1 demonstrates mild loss o posterior disc heihgt.
There is a mild bilateral facet hypertrophy.
IMPRESSION: there is a small mild loss of posterior disc height. There mild bilatral facet hypertrophy

The pain is just horrible and I can't get into my physician as he is out of town. If this is something I have to live with,I want it fixed. Cortisone shots are out for me due to violent reactions of my mother. Please any advise would help. XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 50 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

The MRI finding stating mild loss of posterior intervertbral disc height can be due to degenerative disc disease or lumbar spinal stenosis.

Lumbar degenerative disc disease starts with a torsional (twisting) injury to the lower back and is a cause of low back pain which is worse when sitting or during movements like bending, twisting or lifting. On MRI, annular tears, loss of disc height, and nuclear degradation are found. In lumbar spinal stenosis, either the spinal canal (central stenosis) or vertebral foramen (foraminal stenosis) becomes narrowed as a result of degenerative disc disease.

You have already been on a number of pain killers for the pain but there is no significant relief. Apart from that there are epidural steroid injections, ultrasound therapy used to warm the area, which in turn brings blood flow and healing nutrients to the area or osteopathic manipulation. But these are all short term treatments. Final treatment is by surgical technique most often spinal fusion. Other surgical methods include fascetectomy, foraminotomy, intervertebral disc annuloplasty, intervertebral disc arthroplasy, laminoplasty, laminotomy, microdiscectomy or spinal laminectomy.

Please consult an orthopedic surgeon and discuss these treatment options with him. Till then try to lose some weight (if you are overweight) and do a combination of strengthening, stretching and low-impact aerobic exercise after consulting a physiotherapist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor