Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

154 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

How can arthritic wrist pain be treated?

Answered by
Dr. Michelle Gibson James

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2001

Answered : 15926 Questions

Posted on Mon, 8 Oct 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Any suggestions on how to best treat my ailing, painful arthritic wrists. I currently wear Phiten wrist bands and other wrist support devices. I prefer not to take prescription medications. I work requires a fair amount of keyboard data entry.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

exercises, compresses, reduce aggravating activity,

Detailed Answer:


As you would have realized, NSAIDS are commonly prescribed for arthritic pain but if you are not comfortable with these, that's fine.

By wearing the braces and different support aids you are already doing some form of treatment though it has been shown that overuse of splints of the wrist can cause stiffness and eventual weakness.

Other aspects of treatment of arthritis, in general, involve--(1) if possible reducing activity that would aggravate the injury to and pain in the wrist.

This may be difficult with your job that requires the use of the computer but as much as possible otherwise, reduce aggravating movements.

In some persons, the table or chair may need to be adjusted so that the wrists are not in an awkward position

(2)exercise- simple wrist and hand exercises such as wall crawl, knuckle bend, fists and finger touches may help.
A physiotherapist assessment would help in this area

(3)hot or cold compresses may also be helpful as well

These are the main non-medication treatment options

Hope I have answered your query.

Take care

Dr Michelle Gibson James, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on