How can an ulcer in the mouth be treated?

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: On Monday I had an ulcer come up on my posterior tonsillar pillar throat was sore on that side a few days and that went away the ulcer had this lump under or inflammation not sure what to call it the ulcer seems to have went away but I still have the lump or inflammation what is this
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ulcer mouth

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to health care Magic and thanks for putting up the query
The ulcer as it appears in the pictures is definitely benign lesion. The lump you can see is pharyngeal mucosa with underlying inflammation. The pharyngeal lumps are formed by lymphoid tissue.
From the pictures it is definite that the lesion is healing even if we compare the first and last picture. The site suggest that the lesion can be result of trauma by a tooth brush or may be due to infection.
You should do gargle. What medicines have you been taking so far?
Do you still have any pain swallowing?
Follow up with the required information

Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 3 minutes later
So looks ok to you I am currently on Clarithromycin

Is it common for that inflammation to take longer to heal than the ulcer itself
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ulcer mouth

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Continue with the medicines. Do hexidine gargles and take a multivitamin along with.
Ulcers can take up to 2 to 3 weeks for complete healing depending upon the site, size etc.
Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 20 hours later
Will the yellow lump go away it doesn’t look like a tumor?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ulcer mouth

Detailed Answer:
Hi
The yellow lump is probably an underlying cyst that might not completely disappear. It is a benign lesion and doesn't need any intervention.
Any further queries are always welcome
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 6 hours later
I don’t believe it was there until I got ulcer what causes cyst to form like that
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ulcer mouth

Detailed Answer:
Cyst is an incidental finding and is usually asymptomatic. It is a probable diagnosis on the basis of the picture but anything confirmed can be said only on proper examination.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj