• question-icon

How can an itchy red rash in the groin area be treated?

Posted on Thu, 13 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a jock itch rash that is red and itchy. It is on my Mounds Venus and the top of my leg
near where my leg attaches to my trunk.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
intertrigo with fungal infection

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Because of the heat, moisture and friction in this area, fungal rashes are common.

In addition to treating the infection, it would be important to also address these factors.
Heat , moisture and friction lead to inflammation of the skin folds which is called intertrigo.

Treatment: (1) wear light, cool non occlusive clothes

(2)fan therapy to reduce heat, when possible expose the folds to air

(3)keep folds separate with cotton or linen material when possible

(4)apply a drying agent to the surface eg talc

(5)use 3 to 4 days of a mild steroid cream such as hydrocortisone, apply twice daily, this would help reduce the itching and inflammation

(6)Consider an antifungal powder, this would help treat the fungus and also keep the area dry such as zeasorb AF powder. This contains the antifungal miconazole.
If you cannot find this brand , ask your pharmacist for another antifungal powder
Apply twice daily
It can take 2 to 4 weeks for an improvement to occur because fungi are slow to respond to treatment.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 15 minutes later
Is there a danger of using the talc powder if it were to get inside the vaginal area?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
this would be fine

Detailed Answer:
HI

No, there would be no danger .
Dr. Michelle Gibson James