How can an inflamed intradermal nevus on the scalp be treated?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a question about a mole. I had a very bland colored mole removed from my scalp. They thought it maybe was a pilar cyst and so they removed it. The mole came back as an intradermal nevus, which I understand is benign. But they did mention that it was inflamed. I'm curious as to what would make a mole inflamed and if this is common? I've noticed that in many of my mole biopsies inflammation is noted even after the mole has been excised completely.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding mole

Detailed Answer:
Hello. thank you.

I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venerelogist). I have noted your concern.

Trauma (from inadvertantly scratching or rubbing) is the most common reason for an inflammed mole.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 9 minutes later
Thank you. I kept "feeling" this mole before I had it removed as I was trying to discover what it was (it was on my scalp so not easy to see). The dermatologist said it looked completely fine but they took it off in case it was a cyst. Could that kind of rubbing make it inflamed? The final diagnosis was "inflamed intradermal nevus." I assume that's benign?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
A benign intradermal nevus

Detailed Answer:
thank you.

Constant manipulation can cause minor trauma and inflammatory changes on histopathology. If the excision margins are clear, it means that they have taken it out completely and if the histopathology just mentions inflammation without any atypicality, it certainly rules out malignancy.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana