How can an infected ingrown hair cyst on the chest be treated?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 8 Aug 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am a 36 year old male who 4 days ago seen what appeared to be an ingrown hair so I pulled it out and thought nothing of it next couple days it began to swell turn red with obvious heat to the feel of it while standing or not touching it is not a very painful but if bumped or touched at all very burning pain no allergies more obvious trauma to the area
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Furuncle, oral and topical antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic
I have gone through your complaints as well reviewed the attached photograph.
It seems to be furuncle which is bacterial infection of the hair follicle.
I would recommend you to take oral and topical antibiotics.
If I was your treating doctor I wouldn't recommend you to take tablet cephalexin 500 mg twice daily for 5-7 days and apply mupirocin or fusidic acid cream on the affected area twice daily for 7-10 days.
For redness and swelling take anti inflammatory medicines like tablet ibuprofen.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 hours later
is there any other possible causes
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems to be bacterial infection only

Detailed Answer:
According to me it seems to be a bacterial infection only.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 25 hours later
I was cleaning the area last night and a lot of fluid, I assume blood and puss, came out. Is there anything I need to it besides bandage it with antibacterial ointment?
Brief Answer:
Take oral antibiotic along with topical antibiotic

Detailed Answer:
Besides applying the topical antibiotic take an oral antibiotic like tablet Cephalexin 500 mg twice daily or tablet Amoxicillin 500 mg thrice daily for 5-7 days.

Oral antibiotics are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee