How can alcohol addiction be overcome?

Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 10 Feb 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Dr. Saghafi, thank you for reaching out to me again. I'm drinking less often, but still drinking. I can't seem to silence my addictive voice that tells me I'll feel normal if I drink. I try to "ride the wave" and am successful doing that several times a day. But, so far, I can't make it much past 48 hours without drinking. I'm doing mindful breathing, some yoga. That's helped me sleep well for the first time in months. I'm still very interested in what infusions could do to help me, but I can't travel to Ohio to partake. Is there anyone in the Denver/Boulder area of XXXXXXX that you could recommend? btw, I used to play violin and fiddle professionally until the tremor. The bow is the most important aspect, but that's impossible now. - XXXX
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
I'd love to hear you play again...You'd love to hear YOU play again! :)

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. I am very sensitive to the hardships you are going through young lady...and see how many people suffer with this thing called alcohol addiction. Since last we spoke I've gone from Interim to Medical Director clinic that I told you about and I wish I knew what the answer was to this problem. I wish that could travel to Ohio. We have a unique program that is not really offered in the same way because of the degree of medical and multidisciplinary supervision by licensed professionals that occurs. Other infusion clinics around the country either have no medical personnel operating the program or if they do they have no multidisciplinary team involved. The resolution to the problem is not JUST NAD. That is a part of the puzzle and is very important in order to blunt and in some cases eliminate the withdrawal symptoms that individuals go through when they must cease all substance abuse...but the rest of the program is vital to remolding thought patterns and behaviors.

I wish I knew what the answer was to why I love to drink Caramel Lattes loaded with all sorts of junk that are no good for me despite knowing it's terrible for the body! You see....the difference is just the substance involved....human beings...we all share the same impossible cravings and urges that for some reason defy logic and reason.

Great that you're doing mindful breathing. At our clinic we engage patients in Reiki with a therapist as well as meditation, neurofeedback, and a psychologist who is expert in psychodrama which is a field that works by having participants role play and dig into their own selves, their pasts, and families.....almost like the Theatrical Monologues that are popular with 1 actor on stage relating their experiences in the guise of another person or inanimate object, etc.....you know the type I'm sure.

Take a look at the following link for the clinic and read the articles that appear under the RESEARCH tab: http://www.lunaliving.org/

What sort of experience have you had with AA? How about getting into a physical activity/exercise program. I have recommended that a number of patients at the clinic which seems to help because of what they call "mind occupation activities...MOA!" HA! I wish I knew how to counter that voice about feeling normal if I drink....because while it is true that your tremors and perhaps anxiety or other sentiments become more SUBDUED....the fact is it's a very temporary fix and of course, AT WHAT COST to the body......

The other thing we offer through our clinic is the availability of a Sober Coach who will spend time with the patients, 24/7 if desired in order to help them get beyond those "48 hrs." in your case...and make sure they get over that hump to see just how good they can feel and how much clearer their thinking becomes without alcohol. We also have a network of patients who support each other...much like AA does and they have said that the benefits of that alone through the 10 infusion protocol is worth gold to their recovery.

I know you are not able to come to XXXXXXX ...wish you could....weather's not bad for the next week.....it'll get lousy again for sure....but not bad next week! LOL....

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with any infusion clinics in the State of XXXXXXX but I'm sure you can Google them. Is it the distance that is the problem or the cost of travel and staying? The clinic has recently begun to accept insurance coverage for its reimbursement of services and that has helped a tremendous number of patients.

I do know of a clinic who is managed and run by a very good VIOLIST friend of mine from the past. We were orchestra-mates on the America's Youth in Concert tour of 1977 and she has now opened a series of Mission types of facilities specializing in addiction recovery. She tells me that they have a 92% sobriety rate....I told her that I want to come out and SEE that clinic and understand how she does it.....their program is for a minimum of 90-180 days is my understanding...but they do not use infusions as we do.....She is located in XXXXXXX Idaho......would that be potentially better for you to get to?

Cheers.....upload me a picture of you jammin' in your prior days! LOL....

Be well young lady.

As always your generous comments/criticisms are much appreciated if you feel I've provided useful and helpful information to your questions. Again, many thanks for YOUR REACHING out to me and please let me know how things turn out and if you want details of the XXXXXXX Clinic....or if you wanna come and see the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame! LOL....

This query has utilized a total of 40 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.