Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online

How can alcohol addiction and chain smoking be de-addicted?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1993
Answered : 14 Questions
Want to discuss about my father's addiction to Cigarette and alcohol.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Follow-up: How can alcohol addiction and chain smoking be de-addicted? 1 minute later
He is addicted to Alcohol since last 7-8 years and is not willing to leave.Want a consultation how he can leave this.I am from Lucknow.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Hebbar 3 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

Alcohol dependence treatment starts with the motivation to leave alcohol from patient. Your father should be at least wiling to go to Psychiatrist or de-addiction center. Forcibly admitting for one to 2 months some times may work. If the patient goes to the psychiatrist or center, his motivation may be enhanced by further talking to him.

There are medicines to help him to sleep and avoid withdrawal symptoms. Some medicines can be given to reduce his craving for alcohol which are moderately effective in a motivated person. Another medicine, Antabuse, which gives a bad reaction if patient takes alcohol, can be tried.

Once, away from alcohol AA (Alcoholic Anonymous) meetings may help in avoiding relapse. If his problem is associated with depression or anxiety, these problems to be treated.

Similar line of treatment also apply to smoking.

Hope, this answers your query. Accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Addiction Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor