How can acute liver damage due to Tylenol overdose be treated?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 9 Apr 2018 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: What is the chances that someone with acute liver damage form an tynelol overdose (three days ago)could benefit from a living donor partial liver transplant? How soon would it have to be?What is the success rate of the living donor transplant? What are the risks to the donor?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Excellent success rate.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.

Person can live a normal life even with a 25% functioning liver.Partial or transplant of a lobe of liver has excellent succes rate.Theoretically success rate is as high as 90% while practically if performed correctly with experienced hands its as high as 95-98%.

The sooner it is performed the better however for a better advice kindly attach at least a copy of Ultrasound or CT.

Theoretically a number of risks are there like Infection,Bleeding from site,Sepsis,Narrowing of bile duct etc however as explained earlier practically if post operative care is good and instructions are followed properly chances of any life threatening condition to arise is very rare.

Thanks!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng