Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

140 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

How can abdominal pain post AAA repair be treated?

Answered by
Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar


Practicing since :2008

Answered : 13956 Questions

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: My 89 year old Godmother had repair of an AAA two years ago. She has oxygen dependent COPD, lives independently now but realizes this is not safe and is considering moving into a facility. I am a nurse. Her doctors nurse makes home visits due to her home bound status. She has high anxiety for which she takes Xanax 1mg. Daily in 2divided doses. She is having a debiliting pain in the xiphoid area that occasionally is aided by Xanax or the placebo effect. She is unsure. Her medical records from 2hospitalizations indicate a “large hiatal hernia” that mysteriously did not show on the portable X-ray she recently had at home. It is not gallbladder according to my aunt and her visiting nurse and there are no stones present. Auntie XXXXXXX stated that after the AAA repair, the surgeon told her “things may not be exactly in the same place as preoperatively because if was difficult closing and placing organs back under the emergency circumstances. So my question is where do we go from here and what test do we ask the doctor to perform at this point? The sensation doubles her over until it passes. No N/V. Could she have another AAA brewing. Pain is always in the front.

Thank you for your thoughts. Signed, bewildered
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better to consult gastroenterologist and psychiatrist.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
I don't think it is AAA (abdominal aortic aneurysm) related pain.
AAA related pain is mostly on back side, not front.
Since she is having anxiety and large hiatal hernia, possibility of GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) related pain is more likely.
So better to consult gastroenterologist for GERD.
Also consult psychiatrist for anxiety management. Appropriate anxiety management is must to control GERD symptoms.
She should try conservative treatment for GERD as follows.
1. Pantoprazole and levosulperide combination on empty stomach twice daily.
2. Avoid hot and spicy food. Avoid junk food.
Please let me know if she is taking any antacid at present.
I will be happy to help you further. Wishing good health to your grandmother. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on