Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

How can a squint be corrected apart from surgery?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12753 Questions
hello doctor, please help. my daughter is 2 yrs and 3 months. over the past few weeks i have noticed her to be squinting in her right eye very occassionally when she is engrossed or in a daze. she can bring it back into focus. I had a squint when i was growing up. i corrected it with surgery when i was in my 20's. what are the other options for my daughter to correct this squint?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us.

Squint in children less than five years of age is a common finding. As the children grow bigger their eyes start focusing simultaneously and their squint gradually decreases.

The treatment of squint depends on the extent of deviation of the eye ball. This can only be assessed by an ophthalmologist after a detailed examination. Minor squints can be corrected with the help of eye exercises according to the direction and extent of deviation of eye. Surgery is the last option if there is no response seen after eye exercises.

I hope you have found my answer and recommendations to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How can a squint be corrected apart from surgery? 29 minutes later
can you explain some of those eye exercises? can positioning the child in certain angles while playing or watching TV help in rectifying the squint?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Positioning of child at certain angles will not help in rectifying squint. The exercises depend on whether the child has squint towards the nose or the head.

The exercises are different and can be explained only after examining the child. Still you can ask her to put beads in a plastic wire one by one and then redo it and also ask her to draw some figures. This will help in focusing and concentrating and reducing the squint.

Sincerely hope it will help.

Wishing you an early recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor