• question-icon

How can a red spot on the thigh be treated?

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi, I have this small flat red spot on my thigh that comes and goes as quickly as it came. It appears and then disappears within 2-4 days and it'll be months before I see it appear again. It's always in the same spot however this time, I can't be sure but it looks as though it's a little higher up than the last time it appeared. My diet is a typical diet not high in fats or sodium and my vitamin intake is so so. By that I mean I occasionally take vitamins. I'm not using any new soaps, perfumes or lotions. I'm a pretty simple gal when it comes to beauty products. I'm concerned because blood clots run in my family so I'm wondering if I should have this looked at? I live a semi sedentary life so I know that put me a little more at risk. I also have a similar spot on the palm of my hand but it has need there since I was in my 20's. Any ideas? Also I have not had any injuries or strains. Part of why I don't work out anymore is because my thighs near my knees tighten up and often give out on me sometimes with exercise and sometimes just walking or going up stairs. I started to hike when I was 32 and gave it up because my legs just didn't seem to want to cooperate even after a year of trying to get them to. I don't know if there is a connection but I thought I would mention it. Thank you for whatever advice you can give. :)
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload an image for review!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this rash you have reported. To be of most help, I will need to review it myself. This way, I can provide a personalized and helpful response to you. Without reviewing an image, the response would be too generic and might not address your exactly worry.

To upload an image, simply click on the link to upload a file and follow the instructions. If this proves difficult, please send the image by mail to YYYY@YYYY and request that the image should be uploaded to your query.

I do promise to get back to you with more insights and helpful recommendations as soon as the requested information gets here.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Okay, I have uploaded three pictures. All three pictures are from different times it has appeared. It's not so much a rash, it's just one spot that seems to come and go. Once there was a bruise along with it, as you can see in one of the pictures. I hadn't hurt myself at all so the bruise was strange. It was a big enough bruise that surely I would have remembered hurting myself, especially as high up on my thigh as it was. The bruise could have been purely coincidental but I thought I would mention it just in case.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
This is a nevus!

Detailed Answer:

This is overgrowth of blood vessels. There are times they become prominent and filled with blood and other times they are not. I will suggest that you monitor only for now. Only seek further care if this is growing in size as we may need to cauterized with laser therapy to control the vessels. Otherwise, there is no major concern at this time.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Isn't a nevus just a mole or a birthmark? Mine disappear, they do not stay around.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thais an angioma!

Detailed Answer:

In strictest medical terms, it is an angioma-overgrowth of blood vessels, in this case capillaries. Visibility and size would vary.

I wish you well.
Dr. Chobufo Ditah