• question-icon

How can a red rash on the lower abdomen be treated?

Posted on Thu, 28 Sep 2017 in Infections
Question: I was recently in the hospital for 4 days and am out with a piccline right now. getting a good shower has been tough. This has happened the last few times I had a picc line for iv antibiotics after a 3 or 4 day stay in the hospital for cellulitis infections in the leg. under my belly which is bigger after dealing with these injuries off and on for a year and a half and also at the waist line of my legs and inner thighs. I used lotion the last few times and it seemed to help.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would like some clarifications

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir , I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but I would like some clarifications .. what is the name of the cream and lotion that you have used ?? a photo of the affected area will also help ?? please also clarify the symptoms you are experiencing and how can I provide further help.. kind regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 9 minutes later
I used lubriderm lotion and gold bond medicated powder. It's just redness like a rash you get from sand at the beach. I have been sweating alot because the hospital I had a fever of 103. The hospital stay was unrelated as the rash was not there until 2 days ago and them at was the day after I got out of the hospital.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Over the counter cortisone and an antihistaminic

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

This rash can be a heat rash or an allergic rash...

I would recommend that you cool the area affected by cold compresses or a cold shower.

Also, I would recommend that you apply a mild over the counter cortisone creams like hydrocortisone ( Cortaid ) three times daily together with an oral antihistaminic, such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) once daily before going to bed...

I hope you find this helpful...

Let me know if I can assist you further...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 45 minutes later
Thanks I got some of the over-the-counter cream and I used some Gold Bond powder again and cooled it with a cold compress and it's already gone down a little so thanks for the help and my doctor called me in a prescription for type of cream to use to
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

You are most welcome...

Kind regards

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman