• question-icon

How can a rash around the mouth be treated?

Posted on Sat, 8 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi I have a rash around my mouth that has come and gone for the last 3weeks. Never had it before. How can I treat it.
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Contact dermatitis

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thank you for asking HealthCareMagic.
I have gone through your question.

The rash around the area could be a contact dermatitis -inflammation of the skin around your mouth caused by something ( irritant/ alergic agent ) that you are in contact with .

The first step in this case is to find out, what cause the symptoms and try to avoid direct contact with the irritant/allergic agent.
The second step after you find the cause is to figure out how much time does it takes for the rush to happen .If it takes few minutes after exposure it is irritant dermatitis, if the symptoms appear hours after the exposure it goes more for allergic dernatitis and allergy test are needed.

You have to be aware of everything you put in your face ( especially in the area that you have problems). (Cream , objects , toothpaste ..)

So i would recommend :

-If you use any cream in your face ( sun cream..) ,soap or any other chemicals, try to avoid and see if you feel better .

-If you use any steroids cream,don't use it any more .Steroids cream when are used in the face can easily cause skin irritations.

-Avoid being in contact with the sun , may be a cause of your irritation .Avoid heat( Hot water ) and wind .
-Use cold compress in your skin and lipid -rich moisturizer to decrease irritation . Take oatmeal bath.

If you don't feel any better you need to be seen by a local doctor, he / she will examine your skin , perform patch test for allergy, give antibiotic cream ...

Hope i have answered your question .
Let me know if you have any further clarifications, i will be happy to help.
Take Care!
Dr Balliu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Rudina Balliu