• question-icon

    How can a rash around the mouth be treated?

Posted on Sat, 8 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi I have a rash around my mouth that has come and gone for the last 3weeks. Never had it before. How can I treat it.
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Contact dermatitis

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thank you for asking HealthCareMagic.
I have gone through your question.

The rash around the area could be a contact dermatitis -inflammation of the skin around your mouth caused by something ( irritant/ alergic agent ) that you are in contact with .

The first step in this case is to find out, what cause the symptoms and try to avoid direct contact with the irritant/allergic agent.
The second step after you find the cause is to figure out how much time does it takes for the rush to happen .If it takes few minutes after exposure it is irritant dermatitis, if the symptoms appear hours after the exposure it goes more for allergic dernatitis and allergy test are needed.

You have to be aware of everything you put in your face ( especially in the area that you have problems). (Cream , objects , toothpaste ..)

So i would recommend :

-If you use any cream in your face ( sun cream..) ,soap or any other chemicals, try to avoid and see if you feel better .

-If you use any steroids cream,don't use it any more .Steroids cream when are used in the face can easily cause skin irritations.

-Avoid being in contact with the sun , may be a cause of your irritation .Avoid heat( Hot water ) and wind .
-Use cold compress in your skin and lipid -rich moisturizer to decrease irritation . Take oatmeal bath.

If you don't feel any better you need to be seen by a local doctor, he / she will examine your skin , perform patch test for allergy, give antibiotic cream ...

Hope i have answered your question .
Let me know if you have any further clarifications, i will be happy to help.
Take Care!
Dr Balliu

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Answered by
Dr. Rudina Balliu

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2015

Answered : 420 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Irritant dermatitis

doctor1 MD

Savlon applied wen I felt itching in my genitals,, around my anus , penis every of that delicate area is having burning sensations. My testacles...

doctor1 MD

What could this be it doesn't itch or hurt feels warm at touch and has blisters gives me a lot of anxiety not knowing what it could be

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, I am observing tiny red spots on my penis. I don t feel any pain or any sensation. I am married, and I don t have any other sexual...

doctor1 MD

Hi... I have a large swollen bump on my bottom lip it just appeared today. I ve had a cold sore before but this doesn t really look or feel like a...

doctor1 MD

I just bleached the lower part of my hair, and some of the bleach ran down my neck, and started to itch and burn, but I ignored it for about 20...

doctor1 MD

I have a rash on the outside of my anus. It's very itchy and now a lot of sores have formed along the outside. I haven't had sex in over a month. I...

doctor1 MD

hi i m anil
i m using melas cram since 3 days
both lotion and cream
now my face skin looks dry and someway like a burning skin..
please tell me...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

156 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Rudina Balliu
  • Q - Suggest treatment for vertigo

  • Q - Suggest treatment for severe whiplash along with upper back and shoulder...

  • Q - Suggest treatment for constipation and severe pressure in the lower abdomen

  • Q - Suggest treatment for bilateral hip pain and osteoporosis

  • Q - What is dysphagia?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for dry and flaky skin on face along with pimples

  • Q - Can Magnesium and Psyllium be taken for constipation daily?

  • Q - What causes red blisters at the corner of the mouth?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for pain in the rib cage post injury

  • Q - Suggest alternative treatment for high cholesterol levels