• question-icon

How can a painful canker sore on the tongue be treated?

Posted on Thu, 4 May 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: What could this be, i have not ate anything hot or nothing sour
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Apthous ulcer.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.

As per your query this is apthous ulcer.

Aphthous ulcers are typically recurrent ulcers inside the mouth on areas where the skin is not tightly bound to the underlying bone, such as on the inside of the lips and cheeks or underneath the tongue. They are sometimes caused by damage to the mouth, such as accidentally biting your tongue or eating something hard and sharp. Ulcers that keep recurring may be caused by stress, anxiety, eating certain foods, stopping smoking, or hormonal changes.It can also develop during your monthly period.

Take any over counter probiotic for few days along with Vitamin B complex supplements daily.
Use Betadine mouth wash twice daily.
Place milk of magnesia on the mouth ulcer covering mouth ulcers with baking soda paste.
Over-the-counter benzocaine (topical anesthetic) products like Orajel or Anbesol can be used to provide symptomatic relief in pain.

It will take 4-5 days to go away.

Hope i answered your query well.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist