How can a painful canker sore on the tongue be treated?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Many months ago, I got a canker sore on my tongue (and one or two inside my mouth). Unfortunately, it never healed because, I have bitten it probably a hundred times. It is in a bad place and is now so irritating and often bitten many times a day in the course of eating, drinking, and even sleeping. What can I do to get rid of it? I've recently tried all the various options including: mouth sore wash, baking soda, and kanka sore pain reliever.
Is there any fast treatment for this? Thank you. XXXX
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vitamin B complex, steroid ointment..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

As per your description, in case if there is repeated injury in the area of sore then the first thing that needs to be done is to take utter precautions to prevent recurring injury as it will only worsen the condition..

So first of all, follow basic preventive remedies like take soft diet, avoid spicy and hard foods, do cool compresses over the sore and do cool water rinses..
Use a dilute solution of antiseptic mouthwash to gargle (which I believe you must be doing already)..

Now to relieve the sore faster, you can consult an Oral Physician and get evaluated and s/he may advice you to take Vitamin B complex supplements and application of steroid oral paste for a faster relief..

In case, if it still does not heal, a biopsy from the affected area will be needed to confirm the nature of the sore, so that appropriate treatment can be advised..

Please feel free to write back for more queries..

Regards..

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee