How can a painful callus on the toe be treated?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Fri, 11 Jan 2019 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have a lot of pain in my second toe on my right foot and it also has a large callus and swelling over the second joint. what could be causing it and how can I treat it?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Based on the given information it could be due to elevated uric acid levels.

Detailed Answer:

Hello and welcome,

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. If at all you have pain in other joints as well, with the inclusion of morning stiffness especially in your hands, wrists, etc; this could be age-related changes pointing towards arthritis.

But if the pain is limited to just your second toe on one foot then this could be related to a condition caused by elevated uric acid levels which are due diet-related (consumption of foods and beverages prone to cause high uric acid level in the body i.e. alcohol, seafood, turkey, veal, bacon, liver, etc). I would recommend an X-ray of the affected region along with blood investigations including your serum uric acid levels, ESR, and CRP levels for further evaluation.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Dr. Shoaib Khan, General & Family Physician

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee