How can a non athletic person get inflamed Achilles tendon?

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
Posted Fri, 15 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tendoachillis is vulnerable to injury

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query carefully and understand your concern. The Achilles tendon, the largest tendon in the body, is vulnerable to injury because of its limited blood supply.
The common reason for Inflammation in a non athletic person is –
1.Obesity, Diabetes, Ageing process, increased activity, poor-fitting footwear, excessive pronation, poor flexibility, Low-riding shoes.
2.Certain diseases like Gout and Rheumatoid arthritis

Hope your query is answered and I shall be glad to answer any further query.

Follow-up: How can a non athletic person get inflamed Achilles tendon? 11 hours later
I am about 30 lbs overweight and have been so for about 30 years. What is an excessive pronation? I had both ankles broken in a car wreck in 1973 and major surgery on my right ankle in 1975. I had a fusion and a bone graft to make me an ankle. That foot has been broken again in 1984 in an accident. I had a bunionectomy on right foot and foot is deformed. All toes on right side where the bunion was are leaning toward big toe. I have a know where bunion was removed that looks awful. Dr. did not seem to think there was anything to be done. I am embarrassed to take off my right shoe.

Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You may send the picture of foot

Detailed Answer:
Hello
It's good to see you
I really felt bad with the number of unfortunate accident you had.These multiple trauma incident may Itself leads to inflammation at tendon achillis.
Excessive pronation means inward rotation of foot.You may send the picture of foot if possible .
Looking forward to your reply.