How can a lump near the anus be treated?

Posted on Fri, 30 Jun 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: About two weeks ago I found a lump to the right of my anus. There is no pain involved but since I found it I feel it is blocking my ability to have a BM and I now feel it when I sit but again with no pain.

I have never had a colonoscopy.
Answered by Dr. Sunil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Most likely internal hemorrhoid.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query on this forum.
I am a Gastroenterologist and would be addressing your query.

As per your description, most likely cause or initial suspicion goes on the internal hemorrhoid. The veins around your anus tend to stretch under pressure(while straining bowel movements) and may bulge or swell. Swollen veins can develop from increased pressure in the lower rectum and cause a problem in passing stools.

At an age of 64, they are very common and should be ruled out initially.
As there is no pain involved its hemorrhoid in case of tumour of other masses usually pain is there.

However to reach a final conclusion digital rectal exam should be done by a Colorectal specialist. During this exam, he/she inserts a gloved and lubricated finger into your rectum. If they feel anything abnormal, they may order an additional test called a sigmoidoscopy. A sigmoidoscopy involves him/her using a small camera to diagnose an internal hemorrhoid or to see what type of mass it can be.

Colonoscopy is not needed right now.
Thank you and warm regards.
Feel free to ask further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Sunil

Gastroenterologist