How can a lump near the anus be treated?

Posted on Fri, 30 Jun 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: About two weeks ago I found a lump to the right of my anus. There is no pain involved but since I found it I feel it is blocking my ability to have a BM and I now feel it when I sit but again with no pain.

I have never had a colonoscopy.
Answered by Dr. Sunil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Most likely internal hemorrhoid.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query on this forum.
I am a Gastroenterologist and would be addressing your query.

As per your description, most likely cause or initial suspicion goes on the internal hemorrhoid. The veins around your anus tend to stretch under pressure(while straining bowel movements) and may bulge or swell. Swollen veins can develop from increased pressure in the lower rectum and cause a problem in passing stools.

At an age of 64, they are very common and should be ruled out initially.
As there is no pain involved its hemorrhoid in case of tumour of other masses usually pain is there.

However to reach a final conclusion digital rectal exam should be done by a Colorectal specialist. During this exam, he/she inserts a gloved and lubricated finger into your rectum. If they feel anything abnormal, they may order an additional test called a sigmoidoscopy. A sigmoidoscopy involves him/her using a small camera to diagnose an internal hemorrhoid or to see what type of mass it can be.

Colonoscopy is not needed right now.
Thank you and warm regards.
Feel free to ask further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Answered by
Dr. Sunil


Practicing since :1982

Answered : 351 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Sigmoidoscopy

doctor1 MD

hii....I have severe gas problems.....I dnt have any control over the gases coming out throuh rectum ....i tried many things gasex, unienzume...

doctor1 MD

Less than a year ago I started to experience loose stools/diarrhea. It starts out with a normal bowel movement, but at the end it would be soft...

doctor1 MD

Hello, my name is Cheryl. I am a 45 yr old female. Was diagnosed several yrs ago with IBS (cramping, bloating, alternating constipation/diarrhea)....

doctor1 MD

i have been to A&E recently twice and was admitted as a day patient. I had my blood tested which was fine and also had a rigid sigmoidoscopy which...

doctor1 MD

I have had a couple of incidents where skin protrudes from my anus after having a bowel movement. I have spoken with my P.C.P. about it. She called...

doctor1 MD

I'm having mild pain in my rectum/anal area. I'm also feeling slightly dizzy. I have blood on my tissue paper. Then, for about a week or two I...

doctor1 MD

What is the best medicine to use for pouchitis. A 27 year old male was operated and has a j-pouch because he had Ulcerative Colitis . He has a...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

127 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction