• question-icon

How can a hematoma on the knee cap after injury be treated?

Posted on Wed, 26 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had a knee replacement 7 years ago, and all has been fine. This afternoon I fell and hit that knee on the patio cement. It was sore and a little scrapped but appeared to be pretty much OK. While watching TV this evening I put an ice pack on it for a while. Now it suddenly had a big fluid bag over the knee cap, about the size of the knee cap and about 1/2 inch high. My question is can this wait until I can call my Ortho guy tomorrow morning, or is there some reason I should visit the ER tonight?
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not an emergency

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

From the symptoms,it appears to be a subcutaneous haematoma in the pre- patellar bursa.Due to blunt trauma,the clotted blood has accumulated just under the skin in the bursa(a small bag of tissue,which is usually filled with small amount of synovial fluid).

This is not an emergency and should subside with analgesic anti inflammatory tablets like ibuprofen/tramadol and trypsin/chymotrypsin/serratiopeptidase.

Continue applying ice pack and elevate the limb over a pillow till you see your doctor tomorrow.
I do not feel you need an ER visit at this moment.

Do not apply anything hot/warm to the affected area.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon