• question-icon

    How can a hematoma on the knee cap after injury be treated?

Posted on Wed, 26 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had a knee replacement 7 years ago, and all has been fine. This afternoon I fell and hit that knee on the patio cement. It was sore and a little scrapped but appeared to be pretty much OK. While watching TV this evening I put an ice pack on it for a while. Now it suddenly had a big fluid bag over the knee cap, about the size of the knee cap and about 1/2 inch high. My question is can this wait until I can call my Ortho guy tomorrow morning, or is there some reason I should visit the ER tonight?
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not an emergency

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

From the symptoms,it appears to be a subcutaneous haematoma in the pre- patellar bursa.Due to blunt trauma,the clotted blood has accumulated just under the skin in the bursa(a small bag of tissue,which is usually filled with small amount of synovial fluid).

This is not an emergency and should subside with analgesic anti inflammatory tablets like ibuprofen/tramadol and trypsin/chymotrypsin/serratiopeptidase.

Continue applying ice pack and elevate the limb over a pillow till you see your doctor tomorrow.
I do not feel you need an ER visit at this moment.

Do not apply anything hot/warm to the affected area.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Answered by
Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :2002

Answered : 1209 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Blunt trauma

doctor1 MD

I had to get an endoscopy a week ago, and due to several failed IV insertion attempts, I have a few bruises. At one such site on the back of my...

doctor1 MD

XXXXXXX my head on the wind sheld two days ago and still have some swelling and this moring i have blood pooling at the XXXXXXX of my right eye

doctor1 MD

Can Angiodysplasia of the colon be caused/aggravated by an injury? Example; Auto accident. seat belt causing severe injury to abdomen. Thank you

doctor1 MD

chronic pain on right abdomen where the liver is. checking liver result is normal. Pain is not severe but is uncomfortable and subsides for a...

doctor1 MD

Hello . I was kicked in the rectum several days ago . Now I'm having painful BM's . No obvious signs of bleeding. No abdominal discomfort or...

doctor1 MD

I received blunt trauma to the testicles when I was around 12 years old. I'm now 20 and have occasional pain in both sides and have a spermatocele....

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

140 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Mahaveer Patil
  • Q - Suggest treatment for pain and swelling in the middle fingers

  • Q - Suggest treatment for severe muscular and joints pain

  • Q - Suggest treatment for severe pain and swelling in the leg

  • Q - Suggest treatment for left shoulder pain in an elderly person

  • Q - Suggest treatment for chronic pain in the legs when diagnosed with CMT

  • Q - Suggest treatment for severe shoulder pain

  • Q - What causes shortness of breath and constant back pain?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for foot stress fracture

  • Q - Suggest treatment for pain and swelling in the right ankle

  • Q - What causes twinging pain post intake of Mobic?