question-icon

How can a head lice infestation in the pubic hair be treated?

Posted on Fri, 16 Dec 2016
Question: We had a head lice infestiation and we finally got it under control, but now I have them in my pubic hair. Can I use the regular lice shampoo for there?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Yes, can start with regular lice shampoo first..

Detailed Answer:

I read your message and understood your problem.

It seems that you got pubic lice, that is a little different from the hair lice. Pubic lice infestation is caused by phthirus lice and the hair lice is caused by pediculus humanus capitis.

Pubic lice are spread by intimate contact or by using the blankets or towels of infected people. Please, keep proper hygiene to prevent other infestations.

You can use over the counter lotions or shampoos like A200, RID or NIX. You can even start with the shampoo you used for hair lice.

If it is mild infestation you just need to wash the area often and take proper hygiene care. If the infestation is resistant to these efforts, use something stronger like Ovide which is a lotion that you leave in the affected area for 8-10 hours before wash or Stromectol which is an oral drug (pill). Lindane is the strongest drug and is for topical use.

Start with something less stronger. Leave Lindane as the last option.

Decontaminate your home, clothes, and everything. Be careful in intimate life as you can spread lice to your husband as well.

Wish fast recovery!
Dr.Albana
Dr. Albana Sejdini