How can a gallstone be treated?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Hi, During a recent UCG I was told that I have a gallbladder stone ( Sixe 2.30 cm). Though I don't feel pain in my abdomen or stomach. Is there any remedy apart from removing the gallbladder. what pre-cautions I need to take in case udont want to get this operated?
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Asymptomatic gallstones

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

The only definitive treatment for gallstone is removal of the gallbladder.
Your gallstone is quite big and other modalities of treatment like medications and lithotripsy may not give good results.

Though you have a big gallstone it is not causing any symptoms. So you do not require any treatment for it now. You need to remove gallbladder if the gallstones causes symptoms like pain, jaundice etc.

You need to reduce weight if obese and control blood glucose and cholesterol levels if they are high.

Dr.R.K.