question-icon

How can a dense feeling in the breasts be tested diagnosed and treated?

Posted on 6 days ago
Question: I kindly need the opinion of a specialist radiologist with experience in breast screening rather than a general one.

My aunt is 52 years old (2 years into menopause), no kids and never got pregnant. She has been having annual mammograms (no family history of breast cancer) for 7 years now, all normal except she has very dense breasts, fibrocystic disease and benign macrocalcifications which are always stable.

Although she entered menopause, her breasts are still dense. She went to a different facility for her mammogram this year followed by ultrasound, and I spoke with radiologist and she said her breast is very bumpy and not usually seen in her age an at menopause. She first told me maybe phyllodes tumor (in both breasts no specific location !) then she changed her mind and said no it Is not, it is atypical glandular tissue, and then again she said maybe phyllodes tumor but not likely. She did not mention fibrocystic disease although last year and all prior years this was noted. She described my aunt's breast tissue as abnormal and was very vague, she said no mass or any lesion just her breast tissue in both breast is not normal appearing and we don't see this in her age!

I have attached her ultrasound pictures (doctor said mainly in both breast upper quadrants tissue does not appear typical).
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar (6 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Shape of lesion favors benign nature.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through all the images.
It is really difficult to interpret from limited images.
However,lesion is identifiable.Lesion is probably benign in nature.
Shape and orientation of lesion favors benign nature.
However your aunt may need mammography,FNAC and clinical correlation.
MRI may be advised if needed.
Lesion may be a fibroadenoma. It should be confirmed by further investigations.

Get well soon.

Hope I have answered your query.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr. Indu XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Indu Kumar (25 minutes later)
What lesion ?
Radiologist and breast doctor said there is no lesion ! The area the radiologist measured is not a lesion is an area of dense glandular tissue that looks bumpy!
There is no palpable mass and no identifiable lesion on neither mammogram nor ultrasound and nothing to aspirate. There are fibroglandular nodularities from fibrocystic disease. Your observation now is concerning me what lesion are you referring to ?
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar (42 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
You can see in the first image where the lesion is measured

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Thanks for following up,
I've gone through your query and understand your concern...

You can see in the first image where the lesion is measured and written as the left upper outer quadrant.

However, it is difficult to comment without the real-time scanning.
I'd suggest for MRI as this is an ideal investigation in dense breasts.

Get well soon.

Hope I have answered your query.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr. Indu XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Indu Kumar (8 hours later)
I am well aware of MRI for dense breast.
How come the doctor mentioned in the report there is no definite identifiable lesion and just areas of dense glandular tissue?!
You can see that what she measured was not an area of fibrocystic/glandular tissue and in fact a an actual lesion ??

I will not be needing any further answers from you. Please do not share guesses and random answers with patients for commercial reasons. This would be the last time i visit healthcaremagic given the drastic deterioration in the quality and professionalism of doctors. Assuming they are in fact as they claim.
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
In one image there is a isoechoic lesion that is measured.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Thanks for following up,

As we have discussed, it is very difficult to comment form limited images and that too without real time scanning.
In one image there is a isoechoic lesion that is measured.It doesn't appear to be glandular tissue.
Please upload USG report if you have.

Get well soon.

Hope I have answered your query.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr. Indu XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist