How can a cyst at the base of the big toe be treated?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Sat, 2 Jun 2018 in Lump
Question: Hello,
I have a cyst or bump at the base of my right big toe on the top of my foot. It appeared suddenly, doesn't hurt, isn't inflamed but does not go away. Do I need to have this examined or is it likely to eventually go away on its own? XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be a ganglion but needs to be evaluated

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Healthcaremagic.

Based on your description it seems that it could be a ganglion which is formed when a partial tear of some muscle fibers occurs and they retract to form a ball like structure. A clinical evaluation is necessary for confirmation. If it is a ganglion it will stay there and not resolve. However, no intervention is needed.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 7 hours later
Thank you. Your suggested diagnosis makes sense. The cyst was first noticed the evening after a particularly strenuous session of yoga where there were many toe stands which are hard for me to do. I will show it to my GP my next visit and avoid standing on my toes for long periods.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Glad that it correlates

Detailed Answer:
Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng