How can a cross trainer's effectiveness be measured?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 10 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Query for Physiotherapist ONLY

Hello Doctor
I want to purchase a cross trainer for myself and my family members. Could you confirm how does the flywheel diameter (12", 15", 18") affects the "effectiveness" of the exercise. I am told by the product distributor that higher the diameter, more effective it. Do you confirm that.

I am looking for a reply. Thanks so much.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 28 hours later
Brief Answer:
Larger the diameter better the exercise.

Detailed Answer:
In a cross trainer it is the flywheel weight and diameter that is important in deciding that the machine is effective. The heavier and larger the flywheel, the smoother every stride will be. it will provide a better support to your joints and will help in a better exercise. Larger the diameter of flywheel more smooth the resistance will be and better will be the quality of exercise. Your distributor is suggesting you correctly.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad