How can a cramp in my calf be treated?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 6 Dec 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello I want to know how to treat a cramp in my calf.
During an exercise two days ago, I felt a tingle in my nerves. This happen when I was doing tricep dips. The tingle went from my elbow and radiated to my hand and shoulder. My left elbow only.
While doing squats, I felt the same sensation on my left leg, from my gluteus to my calves.
Towards the end of my workout, my right calf was cramping slightly and the toes on my left foot were curling and cramping .
I stopped the workout and have been experiencing cramping in my right calf muscles only. I feel it more when I stand on my toes or walk on my whole foot(heel to toe).

Please let me know what I may have been doing wrong and what can help with this. I’m scared to run and exercise until I no longer feel this sensation. How long would I have to wait to start exercising again?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detail below.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query and health concern, there may be some nerve compression in neck or in spine. Stop doing exercise for two weeks, do hot fomentation, take methylcobalamine 1500mg daily and thiocolchicoside 4mg twice daily for 7-10 days you will get relief.

I hope this answers your query.

Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal, Orthopaedic Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana