question-icon

How can a cauterized skin tag be cured completely through appropriate treatment?

Posted on Fri, 8 Feb 2019
Question: I removed a skin tag at home using a cautery pen. The skin tag looked just like the attached picture. After the skin tag completely burned off I found the skin underneath to be dark like a mole. I continued to cauterize it and some of it burned off and left normal skin underneath. However, the majority of the dark pigment will not burn off (see 2nd picture). Is this just char left from the cauterization or could it be a mole going deep into the skin? The dark spot is three times the size of the original skin tag. Should I continue to try to burn it off or should leave I it alone? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (23 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Apply a topical antibiotic ointment

Detailed Answer:

Thank you. I have viewed the images. It is charred/burnt tissue. Not a mole. It will fall off. Don't cauterize it further. I suggest you to just apply a topical antibiotic e.g: Neosporin ointment or Mupirocin ointment, twice daily for a few days.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Kakkar S.
Dermatologist
Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist