Owl Image

How can a bruise on the right shin be treated?

Owl Image
Dr. Manjunath Metri

General Surgeon

Question
For about 2 weeks, my right shin is sore to touch. Its about a 1-2 inch spot that hurts. It feels like a bruise is there, but there is no visible bruise or swelling there. It does not hurt when I walk, run, exercise, etc. No pain when I bear weight on it and no aching. It only hurts when I put pressure on this spot. The spot is on my anterior shin about 6 inches under my knee. Is this shin splints? I used to get them when I was younger (I'm 31 now), but I thought shin splints would hurt when I exercise as well? What's confusing me is that there is only pain when I put pressure on the spot. Im also worried its something more serious (bone cancer) Should I see a doctor?
Thu, 4 Jan 2018 in Lump

Answered by Dr. Manjunath Metri 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No.. Bone cancer, never

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HealthcareMagic..
I thank you for posting your query here and I am definitely going to help you out..

I read your question completely and have understood it well enough.

Please note..

1. If possible can you send a picture of that spot.
Or,
Tell me
Is it red?
Can you feel something like veins?

2. Also, please tell me if there was any kind of trauma to that area in recent times..

3. Well, to me it is not looking like Shin Splints. Because as you said, they produce pain without touching as well.

4. What I feel is, some old trauma which you have not noticed or forgotten about and the pain because of it.
It should settle on its own over the time.

5. And, never it can be a bone cancer. No.
Do not worry..

Hope this helps you..
Please get back with the answers..
I will be able to help you better.

Take care..
Also, I appreciate the way you have put your question.. Thanks..

Follow-up: How can a bruise on the right shin be treated? 41 minutes later
It won't let me upload a picture, but there is no redness. I guess I could have hit it on something, but there was no known trauma to it. Could it be bone spurs?

Answered by Dr. Manjunath Metri 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Let's wait for 2 more weeks

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for getting back..

Please note..

1. Yes it could be a very trivial trauma leading to such pain on palpation.

2. I suggest you to not think about it. Anyway it pains only if you touch.
Let's wait for couple of weeks more.

3. It should disappear slowly on its own..

Hope this helps you..
In case you need further assistance, please contact me back.
Or, you can close the question and rate.
Take care..

Follow-up: How can a bruise on the right shin be treated? 1 hour later
Ok. Thank you. May I ask why you think it's not bone cancer?

Answered by Dr. Manjunath Metri 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bone cancer has varied presentation..

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome back..

Please note..

1. Bone cancer presents in various ways like
A. Obvious swelling
B. Bone pain that is constant, but like you get when you press
C. Fractures with minimal trauma.

2. Also your age is biggest No for Cancer.

Hope this helps you..
In case you need further assistance, please contact me back..
Or, you can close the question and rate..