• question-icon

How can a Bartholin's cyst be treated?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Women's Health
Question: I have a small bulge protruding at my vagina. I have had minimal pain, just some discomfort. It almost feels like I need to push something out. It also feels like I am sitting on a small ball at times.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be a bartholin's cyst.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The causes for a small lump or bulge in the vagina could be one of the following:-

1. Bartholin's Cyst - Is located midway of the labia, and protrudes into the vagina and causes discomfort during sexual intercourse.

Bartholin's cyst is formed when a Bartholin's gland is blocked, causing a fluid-filled cyst to develop. Bartholin's cyst is not an infection, although it can be caused by an infection, inflammation, or physical blockage (mucus or other impediment) to the Bartholin's ducts (tubes which lead from the glands to the vulva).

If infection sets in, the result is a Bartholin's abscess. If the infection is severe or repeated a surgical procedure known as marsupialization may be required to stop further recurrences.

2. Infected hair follicles - can form small abscesses, which can cause a small swelling, but they are associated with redness and throbbing pain.

Proper diagnosis requires a proper physical examination of the swelling in question. You might consult a gynaecologist who can examine and then decide on the appropriate treatment.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN