How can Parkinson's disease be treated in an elderly?
survive her behavior that antagonizes me so much?
signed Don at (707) 277-9167
You can reduce the "culprit" drugs too.
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.
I have noted your wife's clinical details. Based on this, she is suffering from psychosis, which could be either due to advanced Parkinson's disease (PD) or due to adverse effects of Parkinson's medications. If she is on trihexiphenidyl, pramipexole, ropinirole or levodopa, it may be worthwhile reducing their doses. Doing so, would reduce the hallucinations, agitation and other psychotic features.
Quetiapine is a good drug for treating PD-psychosis, however, it may worsen the motor symptoms of PD. If available, you can use pimavanserin (nuplazid), which was recently approved by FDA for treating hallucinations and delusions in PD patients.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr. Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Diagnosis of parkinson’s disease
- Treatment and cure for parkinson’s disease
- Drugs/medication for parkinson’s disease
- Meedication for parkinson s disease
- Can apomorphine help treat control parkinson s disease
- What are the symptoms and treatments for parkinson s disease
- Symptoms of parkinson’s disease
- Parkinson’s disease causes
- What are the best possible treatments for parkinson s disease
- Are syndopa and pacitane ideal medications for parkinson s disease
- CT scan shows intracerebral bleed, cortical vein thrombosis, patchy...
- Distorted vision. MRI showed demyelination and suspected MS. Prescribed...
- I have been getting random twitching all over body. What should I do?
- Taking Epilim chromo to prevent migraine, now irritable, aggressive,...
- Burning sensation in neck, back and stomach. Had stomach upset, gas,...
- Headache, taken painkillers and homeopathic treatment. No nausea. Worried
- X-ray shows rotoscoliosis, spondyloisthesis, degenerative disc disease....
- What does the EMG results indicate? Could it cause problems with fine...
- Shivering hands and feet, blurred vision, tingling and numb foot, back...
- Does Gonapeptyl cause fits in children? Child has cerebral palsy