How can Omeprazole dosage be reduced from 10mg?

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Posted on Mon, 23 Apr 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: i am on a ppi called omeprazole for acid reflux. i was
on 20mg now im on 10mg. there is no lower dosage. i cant cut tablet in half. how do i reduce the dosage?
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 3 minutes later
treatment is correct if want to reduce dosages then go for change can opt for liquid preparation like polycrolgelistand by forearliar advise on queistion if agreed then follow my advise and oblidge.
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 1 minute later
i am on a ppi called omeprazole for acid reflux. i was
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Best way is to switch to H2 blockers

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Welcome to Healthcare Magic.
I am Dr Anshul Varshney for your help

See actual effective dosage of Omeprazole is 20 mg only.
I don't think reducing it to half is a good idea.
Still if you wish you can cut it into half.
However my recommendations for my patients in such case scenario is to switch to H2 blockers like Ranitidine 150mg once a day.
These are very safe to take and are less potent then Omeprazole.
So shifting to Ranitidine is recommended from my side.

I hope it helps you.
If you have any further query please ask me.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 40 minutes later
ok thank you. im on 10mg so far. i was advised by doctor to stop after 4 weeks. im doing fine on this amount. once the 4 weeks is over i will other wise just stop as advised or take 150mg of h2blockers. which i will taper off aswell and take as needed. thankyou for the advice on this topic. very helpful.
Brief Answer:
Good luck.

Detailed Answer:
I wish you a speedy recovery.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng