How can Neo-Mercazole dose be reduced from 5mg to 2.5mg as prescribed by the doctor?

Dr. Minal Mohit

Endocrinologist

Posted on Fri, 31 Aug 2018 in General Health
Question: I am Hyperthyroid with Multinodocular goitre. you had asked me to reduce the Neomercazole dose from 5 mg to 2.5 mg. however there is no such dose available in the market.
I would like to consider XXXXXXX as the body pain, swelling and inflamation on full body, weight gain etc. are really troubling me now
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
sure you can go for XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
I know Neomercazole 2.5 mg is not available. the tablet 5 mg is a scored tablet and can be broken into half.
now your thyroid balance is anyways normal so XXXXXXX is not very much recommended now.
still if you want you can go for it but for that you will have to take off neomercazole for sometime , allow hyper thyroid state to go up again and then the gland can be ablated.
as of your body pains, you can take Calcium, Vitamin D, Pregabaline to help you.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Minal Mohit 24 hours later
thanks Doctor XXXXXXX

I have stopped the medication since 2 weeks now. will wait and observe the changes and the levels of TSH.

what should be the normal range of TSH. also what dosage of Pregabaline should i take. are there any side effects.

there is hoarseness of voice also due to the goitre. could the body pain be due to menopause. I wake up sweating a lot at night. what can be taken for the menopause symtoms like dryness etc.

Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
pregabaline might cause little sedation

Detailed Answer:

Normal desired TSH value is between 1-3 uIU/ml.
Pregabaline can be taken as 75 mg at night. might cause some drowsiness.
If your goitre is big enough to cause hoarseness of voice, you might need ablation or surgery.
yes symptom overlap is significant between thyroid and menopause. you may require HRT ie hormone replacement therapy , if symptoms are much. for vaginal dryness there are estrogen creams available, lubricants as well.

Take care,
Dr. Minal Mohit