Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

How can I treat erectile dysfunction?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
Dear Doctor...i have been married since 6years not and am not satisfied with my sexual life..i dont get full errection and suffer from premature ejaculation...also i dont have urge to get involved in to sex and dont enjoy doing it, i have heard that during sex our heart beat start increasing and also we get lots of pleasure but i have not experienced any of wife too is not satisfied with our sexual life and me help what should i do...also suggest some doctor in jaipur who could help me...thanx XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Erectile Dysfunction
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 21 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. Basically what you are having is erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. Both of these are causing sexual dissatisfaction for you and in turn for your partner.

An erection problem is the inability to get or maintain an erection that is firm enough for a man to have intercourse. If the condition persists, the medical term is erectile dysfunction.

Causes may be psychological, smoking, alcohol, illicit drugs and medical conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure, heart or thyroid conditions, poor circulation, low testosterone, depression, spinal cord and neurological causes. To exactly pinpoint a diagnosis you need to get a complete examination done from a urologist.

I will describe some simple measures which you can incorporate and these should help you. First of all, quit smoking and alcohol (if you are taking any), indulge in physical exercise and eat a healthy diet. Have faith in yourself and do not take any stress. You can talk to your partner openly and indulge in plenty of foreplay before sex. Exercise, particularly aerobic exercise is very effective.

If however the symptoms persist then we need to rule out the medical conditions mentioned above. The commonly prescribed drug by the doctors is sildenafil, which causes erections to be stronger and long lasting. However it is not safe to take this drug without a doctor’s advice and moreover it is important to rule out these medical conditions as well.

Regarding the premature ejaculation, it depends on multiple factors , the most common being psychological factors. The psychological factors may include stress and anxiety in daily life and depression due to personal, professional , financial and other social issues. Medical causes of premature ejaculation include abnormal hormone level, reflex activity of ejaculatory system, thyroid problems, diabetes, hypertension and neurological causes.

Try distracting yourself when you feel you are about to ejaculate. Take a XXXXXXX breath and stay relaxed during intercourse. Also do not worry about performance and talk to your partner openly about any apprehensions if you have. Other treatment methods which can be followed are stop-start or squeeze-pause technique.

In stop start technique, near ejaculation withdraw from your partner and relax and think about something else. In squeeze- pause technique, squeeze the end or the tip of the penis for 10 to 20 seconds when you are close to ejaculation and then resume stimulation after withholding for half a minute. If the symptoms persist then desensitizing creams and SRRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) may need to be prescribed for which you have to consult a urologist. You may need to undergo certain medical tests like for diabetes, thyroid profile and hormonal assay.

Any good urologist in one of the good hospitals in Jaipur can be consulted. Dr XXXXXXX Mehta is a good urologist and you can consult him at XXXXXXX hridyalaya. You can also click on the following link to have a look at his profile: WWW.WWWW.WW
Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How can I treat erectile dysfunction? 2 hours later
Respected Doctor..

Thanx for the reply..

I dont Smoke or Drink, I dont take any Drugs and dont suffer from Diabetese and high blood pressure, my Thyroid report is normal, never had any spinal/neurological or never did suffer from depression. I am not sure about the testosterone levels and poor blood supply cause.

Sir is the problem due to some harmonal disbalance as i dont feel the excitement for generally mens are desperate for sex but its not same with me...i try to avoid it and dont enjoy it....further the problem of erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation is also bothering me...the main causes stress..sir i dont have any stress in my life apart from the problem i am facing...

reagading excersise sir i shall start it soon...sir will just excersise help me get away with the problem...

sir will i be able to lead a nornal sexual life as any other married couple..

sir will my condition be premanently cured with the advise of a urologist

please help sir

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 53 minutes later

Thanks for writing back. I can understand your concern. It is good that most of the medical causes have been ruled out in your case. Stress can be there due to the erectile dysfunction or premature ejaculation.

What happens is that with these conditions, you start having negative feelings about non performance which gives performance linked anxiety. This makes sex a task rather than a pleasure and then a vicious cycle of stress- erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation- non performance- stress starts.

Relax, you will be able to lead a normal sex life after appropriate treatment and examination from a urologist. Apart from exercises you may need psychotherapy and medicines as well. For this you should consult a urologist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor