Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

How can I treat bald spots and stunted hair growth on my scalp?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 304 Questions
I am having a terrible problem with my scalp and cannot find a doctor to help me. I cut my hair so the bald spots and stunted hair growth on the top of my scalp woudl be obvious ... and they are. It is almost like a reverse mohawk with short, stunted hair down the center of my head. The bald spots hurt beneath almost like they are nailed to my head. My scalp feels tight around my head and it feels like there is a buildup of some type under the hair area but of course above the skull. Last fall I had scabbies on my arms and legs ... very painful. I had THREE occurrences where when showering and rubbing my scalp trying to reduce the "build up" sensation (and itching), that something (not visible) seemed to drop onto me from my head. The burning sensation was unspeakable. Like a hot poker. It resulted in whelps which, when examined closely almost looked like a series of tiny scooped out areas and also individual bites with a generalized reddening of the area. I have ended up in the emergency room with this. I am totally preoccupied with this problem and in dire need of help from a medical professional who is committed, patient-centered and intellectually curious. What I have is apparently unusual. The two dermatologists I have been to say I am "imagining" my problem because biopsies were unremarkable... I could understand that if I didn't have so many obvious physical symptoms ... which are documented in photos. I am wondering if the scabbies are under the hair. I can sometimes feel a sensation and admit I'm horrified at that possibility. Please help me.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 21 hours later

Thanks for your query.

I do understand your sufferings. There are many illnesses which are obviously ignored for the reasons that the diagnosis is difficult to be made.

I will surely try to help you here. I do think that it could either be a fungal infection, which is sometimes missed in histo pathological examination of the biopsy but caught by KOH (Potassium hydroxide test) mount of the biopsy.Also another possibility could be infestation by either lice or scabies.

I would be more accurate and sure in my opinion if you can provide me with the test reports like KOH (if done) and images of the lesion. You can send the report and images at YYYY@YYYY with subject as Attention: Dr. Rohit Batra.

Anticipating your response and hope to see you well soon.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor