Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

How can I stop vomiting? Had dry heaves

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 10295 Questions
how do i stop violent vomiting have had dry heaves for three days constnt as long as three hours at a time
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Nausea or dry heaves, can be due to a variety of causes such as infection (gastroenteritis due to a bacteria or virus), GERD, medications, diseases of the liver, stomach or intestines. It may also be related to electrolyte abnormality in the blood, excess pain, conditions in the brain particularly the cerebellum, inner ear conditions and migraines.

Normally it is recommended that you use extremely small amounts of clear liquids, though after 24hrs of vomiting, the use of oral rehydration fluids is preferred because it replaces the electrolytes lost as well. Use a small amount (no more than an ounce), wait 5 minutes then try some more.
The clear liquids should be slightly sweetened (like soda or a non acidic juice) because this is tolerated better.

Till the urge to vomit has passed it would be best to avoid all solid food. After at least 6 hrs with no nausea or vomiting you can try using dry foods like crackers (no fried or fatty food).
You need to limit your activity to avoid irritating the stomach, in addition if you are on any medication that may irritate the stomach (like NSAIDS- ibuprofen/cataflam) then discontinue them for now.

There is medication that you can use along with the above, you can try diphenhydramine which is also known as benadry - it is an antihistamine but also has anti emetic properties
It can be combined with metoclopramide which is also useful for persons with your symptoms.

If with the use of the above methods you still have no relief or you experience other symptoms which may point to serious issues (fever, abdominal pain,) then it would be best, if possible , to go to your doctor for an assessment.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor