Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

How can I remove nicotine from my body for surgery?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 598 Questions
i need to get the contine out of my body for surgery i quit smoking 2 wks ago but tested positive how can i get clean
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 2 hours later

Thanks for posting the query.

After going through your query, I would like to suggest the following:

1. Quitting smoking for at least 6 weeks is recommended prior to a surgery under general anesthesia.

2. You need to absolutely quit smoking.

3. Seum cotinine is a metabolite of nicotine and is thus an indicator of your smoking status.

4. Cotinine levels <10 ng/mL are considered to be consistent with no active smoking.

5. It seems you used to smoke a high number of cigarettes prior to quitting hence it is taking a long time for cotinine to disappear.

6. Meanwhile, you can increase your fluid intake, take lots of fresh fruit juices (this helps to bring down the cotinin levels a bit faster). And wait and watch and hope for quick disappearance of cotinine from blood.

7. Also eliminate any source of passive smoking around you i.e. do not let any one smoke in your vicinity.

8. Remember in about 4% of smokers the cotinin levels are high even after 1 month of smoking cessation.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer any follow up queries.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Take care.


Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Addiction Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor