Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

How can I quit smoking and drinking alcohol permanently?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 10215 Questions
i want to quit smoking and alcohol permanently plz sugesst how i can control the egarness of smoking and alcohol
Posted Mon, 24 Sep 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later

Smoking starts as a voluntary habit but because nicotine is additive, it can become an addition.
Stopping smoking and alcohol can be difficult and you may have to enlist the help of your family and possibly get professional help.
Smoking cessation can require counselling and the use of medication, used together, they are more effective than if used separately.
Counselling will teach coping methods to deal with stress (some persons smoke to relieve stress), look at situations that cause you smoke and how to alter them,set goals, if you normally take a work break to smoke finding something else to do or go etc.
In terms of medication, there are nicotine replacement medications and non nicotine replacements that can be used.Nicotine replacements reduce withdrawal symptoms and exert a psychological effects on mood.
There are 6 main types of nicotine replacements: transdermal patch, nicotine gum, sublingual tablet( under the tongue), nicotine lozenges, intranasal spray, nicotine nasal spray.
Transdermal patch releases a steady amount of nicotine, you may still have breakthrough cravings and may require one of the other replacements to use along with it. The patches available vary in the time they are worn (eg 16 vrs 24 hrs) and doses. For persons smoking more than 10 cigarettes a day : 21 mg/day for 6 weeks then 14 mg/day for 2 weeks then 7 mg/day for 2 weeks.
Nicotine gum has 2 doses , 2 mg and 4 mg. In general it is used as follows: 1 piece of gum every 1 to 2 hours for 6 weeks then 1 piece every 2 to 4 hours for 3 weeks then 1 piece every 4 to 8 hours for 3 weeks. If you smoke alot, the stronger dose (4 mg) may be a better choice.

Nicotine lozenge also comes in 2 mg and 4 mg strengths and is used similarly to the gum.
Intranasal spray- this deliver nicotine more rapidly than the other nicotine replacements and may provide faster help for cravings. Most persons start with one to two doses per hour which may increase up to 40 a day.
Nicotine inhalor- out of each inhalor carteridge ,2 mg of inhaled spray is absorbed, most persons use between 6 to 16 carteridges a day over a 3 month period.

There are non nicotine replacement medication that can be used such as bupropion or varenicline. These are prescribed by a doctor.
As stated earlier combination therapy can be useful eg use of non nicotine meds with nicotine meds, adding counselling to medication.

In terms of alcohol use:Alcoholism is when you have signs of physical addiction to alcohol and continue to drink despite problems with physical, mental health, family problems,job problems,alcohol controls your life
Alcohol abuse is when your drinking leads to problems but you are not addicted.

Complete stopping of using alcohol is the goal, it may be difficult and you may require the help of family or medical help. Withdrawal symptoms may occur and it may be best if you check with your doctor before you stop to see if she or he thinks you need to be in a medical setting during the withdrawal period.
Your doctor may also want to do blood tests to check for problems that can occur with chronic use of alcohol.
You may need counselling if you are to be successful

I hope this information is helpful,feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Addiction Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor