Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

How can I get rid of yellow discharge and vaginal soreness?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 436 Questions
i am 23 years old ,, sexually active, have been having this soreness sensation in the vagina , feels like something is raw inside, a yellowish discharge, when i have sex it becomes worse , i have a burning sensation and my lips become swollen, i have had this condition for like two years now and up until the last three months or so has become worse
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Radhika 55 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

The symptoms mentioned yellowish discharge and soreness of vagina most probably suggest Bacterial vaginosis. It sounds to be chronic vaginitis since the problem is for two years and aggravated for more than 3 months.

Bacterial vaginosis is usually caused by Gardnerella vaginalis bacteria. It's mostly not caught from a sex partner.

You can prevent this by;

Wear cotton underpants.
Avoid wearing tight pants, panties.
Change your laundry detergent or fabric softener if you think it may be irritating your genital area.
The latex in condoms and diaphragms and the sperm-killing gels that are used for birth control can be irritating for some women. If you think one of these things is a problem for you, talk to your doctor about other types of birth control.
Avoid hot tub bath.
Bathe or shower daily and XXXXXXX your genital area dry.
Don't douche.
Avoid feminine hygiene sprays, colored or perfumed toilet paper, deodorant pads or tampons, and bubble bath.
After using the toilet, always wipe from front to back. This may help prevent getting bacteria from your rectal area into your vagina.

You may also need to avoid having sex or use condoms until you've been treated.

Bacterial vaginosis is treated with antibiotic medicine,so you will need to consult a gynaecologist, get vaginal examination and few tests like pap smear, vaginal drop preparation. This is the right way to go about from now.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available for follow up .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor