Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

How can I eat food without bloating?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and a lot of different food I eat is causing bloating. Food such as wheat, yeast, sugar, wine, and various fried food seem to be the culprits. I am taking a probiotic pill but that doesn't seem to change the result. What can I do in order to keep enjoying the above food without suffering any further bloating?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 21 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

First of all, in Irritable Bowel Syndrome, skipping meals, low intake of fibre and fluid, excessive fatty food and high sugar intake, sensitivity to milk and other dairy products (see lactose intolerance) and excessive caffeine and alcohol should be avoided. Although you like fatty foods, but they will aggravate the symptoms.

Also make some lifestyle changes. Alterations in diet, like gradual addition of more fibre in your diet like XXXXXXX leafy vegetables & fruits can ease your symptoms. Avoid taking cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, beans and lentils, caffeinated drinks (tea, coffee) aerated drinks, fried and spicy foods as these cause flatulence and bloating.

Also drink plenty of fluids, add fiber to your diet and get regular exercise. Also start doing daily exercises, brisk walks, XXXXXXX breathing exercises which help in preventing constipation.

For wheat and whole grains which although useful in constipation can cause bloating and flatulence, do not introduce it suddenly but gradually increase the amount of fiber in your diet over a period of weeks.

If you take a fiber supplement, such as Metamucil, be sure to introduce it gradually and drink plenty of water every day to minimize gas. Also eat yoghurt everyday and keep on taking the probiotics.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor