question-icon

How can I cure diarrhea caused by Benicar HCT?

Posted on Wed, 13 May 2015
Question: How can I cure my diarrhea caused by Benicar hct
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson (32 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
change medication

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
Diarrhea is one of the known side effects of this medication. It happens in about 3% of people taking it. If imodium did not help then you could ask your doctor for a stronger prescription medication for the diarrhea, but in reality if your diarrhea is a side effect of the medication then you will probably need to change to a different medication. There are many medications that can be used to treat high blood pressure.
Since you are on a diuretic (the HCT part of the medication) and having diarrhea it is very important that you drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.
Please consult with your doctor that prescribes your medication as soon as possible
Dr. Robinson
Dr. Kathy Robinson