Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

How can I break away from an abusive relationship?

Jun 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2496 Questions
I was in an abusive relationship for 13 years. He left me. For 3 years he has been calling me, He buys me birthday, Christmas and valentine presents. I feel he is still using me in someway. I want to break away from this man, but I can not seem to do that. my health has suffered from this relationship and I am in a lot of emotional turmoil. Why would someone want to keep in contact, if he does not want to see me anymore.
Posted Thu, 27 Feb 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: There are many reasons Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for choosing healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would try to solve your problem. I just want to say few things. 13 years are not a short duration for a relationship and there are many possible reasons behind his act; 1. After 13 years, sometime partner become possessive about each other. May be due to possessiveness, your partner is trying to get you back in his life. 2. May be he is not getting someone like you and due to this reason, he wants you to keep in contact with him. 3. May be he is trying to check, whether you are in another relationship or not. 4. May be he does not want you to forget about past incident. These possibilities are there in your case. I think, you should consult a psychologist for getting supportive therapy. That would help you to decrease the mental pain due to your past. Regards Dr. Abhishek Kapoor Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor