How can Down syndrome be treated?

Dr. Remy Koshy

Posted on Fri, 8 Mar 2019 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Dear Doctor,
I want to know if there is any treatment or medication available for "Down Syndrome". Please let me know, if there is any treatment.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Remy Koshy 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No particular cure.

Detailed Answer:

Down syndrome is a genetic disorder that arises due to a chromosomal abnormality. There are no cures known for this condition. But patients with Down's syndrome can usually lead a normal to better life if provided with due medical care and intellectual support. Line of treatment varies individually according to the patient's symptoms.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to discuss further for any related queries.

Dr. Remy Koshy, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Remy Koshy 5 hours later
Thank you for the reply. Patient is 7 yr old child. She is going to school and studying Lower Kindergarten now. she can't speak/pronounce words properly. we have to understand the words she speak. sometimes she answers/talks smartly. sometimes she sits aside dull and drowsy. I read somewhere over internet, that there is some medicine (powder), using which down syndrome kids can have intelligence almost equal to normal kids. hence i asked this question. anyhow, is there a way to correct her pronunciation? also she never undergone any DS treatment, nor she is going now. Do we have to provide any treatment? Thanks. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Remy Koshy 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:

Like I said before, Down syndrome is one of the most common chromosomal abnormality and also the one where most of the patients can lead an almost normal life if provided with early intervention therapies.

One thing we have to understand is that children with Down's will attain their milestones later than the other children. So if give timely and early interventions, his will lead to the best possible development and productivity.

You can choose to give Speech-language therapy so as to improve her communication skills and also to train her on how to use her language more effectively. Though the children can understand the language, they may feel stressed or frustrated as they won't be able to express them properly. So a therapist can help with conversational skills, pronunciation skills, and also on how to use different means of communication like sign language and pictures.

You can also choose to provide a counselling therapy like a psychologist, counsellor or other mental health professionals who can help her to deal with her emotions and also build up coping and interpersonal skills.

Like you have said rightly, there seems to be a powder called, New Downs; which claims to be effective in increasing the IQ of the affected children. This powder seems to be an integrated version of multi-vitamin nutritional supplement solely meant for the Down's affected children. But I would suggest you discuss this with your treating physician for a proper decision depending on the overall health of your child.

I hope this helps.