Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

How are sore throat and low grade fever treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3632 Questions
hello. For the last month I have been fighting a slight sore throat and low grade fever. After 2 rounds of antibiotic it came back. Now my muscles in my back around my ribs are sore and the top of my head tender. I have these red itchy bumps that are coming up around joints such as my knees toes fingers. They are hot to the touch. I cannot figure out what is wrong. I am a male 32 years old and in good health before feeling like this.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 25 hours later

Thanks for your query.

Your query has been sent to one of the best XXXXXXX Medicine Specialist In our specialist panel.

The specialist is asking for some more time to answer your query.Kindly do bear with us and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and the delay.

Thanks .
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 days later

Thanks for posting your query.

There are many skin and systemic conditions which can present with such symptoms. Important possibilities which need further investigations are :

1) Viral illnesses which may present with fever and red, itchy bumps or rashes are the commonest.

2) Osler's nodes which are caused by the deposition of immune complexes. It is important to rule out any subacute bacterial endocarditis (SABE) and systemic lupus erythematosus( SLE) in these conditions.

In SABE, Patients present with a fever that lasts several days to 2 weeks. Nonspecific symptoms are cough, shortness of breath, joint pain and abdominal or flank pain or diarrhea.

You may need an ECHO of the heart to be done to rule it out.

Apart from that, antinuclear antibody (ANA) testing and anti-extractable nuclear antigen form the mainstay of testing for SLE.

Since the bumps are painful, you need to get a FNAC of the lumps and a viral and bacterial culture also done.

Complete blood count and a blood culture should be done to rule out systemic causes as well.

You should consult a physician and a dermatologist in this regards and get all these investigations done to rule out these two prime possibilities.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor