How are piles treated ?

Dr. Puneet Maheshwari

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Constipation
Question: Hey doc,
I went to the doc on Friday b/c I have been having a change in my bowel habits. I seem constipated, however, I have diarrhea. Not watery-just loose and mushy. It is hard for me to pass these stools. I took one vitamin suplement yesterday hoping that would help, and I had HARD Black and Brown stool this morning.
I have had black/brown mushy bms 3 times today after the hard one. Any idea what this could be caused from? I know im not a healthy eater. Ive been pushing the fluids the past 2 days too. Also took culturelle this afternoon per my health provider.
I'm 25.
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 1 hour later
Hi Lacy,

You are suffering from constipation. The following could be the reason for the condition--

1- Dehydration.
2-Less fiber in diet.
3- Generalized anxiety.
4-Side effect of any drug.

I would suggest you to --

1- take plenty of fluids.

2- take fiber XXXXXXX diet that include onion, whole grains etc.

3- if still these problems persist then you will have to switch over to certain medications that will include the laxatives and purgatives. For that you should consult your physician.

As you have stated that previously you were suffering from diarrhea, in that case your diagnosis points towards a normal physiological process.

REASON-- it is the natural tendency of the body to maintain the homeostasis, means if you are loosing water from your body, then the body will itself try to compensate losses.

you should not have to worry. JUT FOLLOW THE ADVICE, you will get better soon.

Hope this will certainly help you.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 15 hours later
I was so anxious to write yesterday that I forgot to mention that 3 days ago I had bright red blood in my stool for 2 days in a row. Not on the toilet paper, only IN my stool. My primary took a look and said she didnt see any piles of fissures. Also, last night there was black/tarry stool... No more brown..Just more black.And again-I feel FINE! I have some loss of appetite-but that is pretty 'norm' for me.
I have some cramping before a BM but that is about it.
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 3 hours later
HI, Lacy,

Blood in stool indicates piles, but your examination revealed nothing,
Now the second possibility is of amoebiasis, as some times it may cause blood in stool.

Do not worry,

Emperically, take metronidazole with a fluoroquinolone like ciprofloxacin, twice a day for 5 days, under the prescription of your treating physician. you will be absolutely all rite.

Dont forget to take plenty of fluids.

regards.