How are panic attacks and anxiety neurosis treated ?
Thanks for posting your query. I can understand your concern for these symptoms and your concern is genuine for a physical cause. It looks like panic attacks and anxiety neurosis (from the symptoms and the occurrence during stressful times) but before labeling it as any of these, it is advisable to get an EEG (electroencephalography) and a MRI of brain. Both these tests will rule out any organic or medical neurological cause.
Second for ruling out the conditions of anxiety neurosis and panic attacks you need to consult a psychiatrist. Panic attack is a response of the sympathetic nervous system and is characterized by trembling, dyspnea (shortness of breath), heart palpitations, chest pain (or chest tightness), hot flashes, feeling of warmth and sweating. Symptoms of anxiety neurosis include sweating, headaches, nausea, muscle tension, muscle aches, trembling and hot flashes.
Both of the above the best fit would be a referral to Neuropsychiatrist by your primary physician which require psychological counseling and anti anxiety medicines.
Third you are already taking the antidepressant Amitriptyline and long term side effects of these drugs may cause neurological symptoms like confusion, tingling, abnormal involuntary movements and anxiety. Hence please discuss about dose modification with your treating physician as sometimes dose modification helps in decreasing the symptoms.
In addition, here are some of the other treatment options which you can follow:
1) When you have such symptoms, breathe slowly through the nose and talk to your family and friends.
2) Do not take caffeine of alcohol at night just before going to bed.
3) Include in yoga and mid relaxing exercises like meditation to calm your mind in your daily routine.
4) You can also practice progressive muscle relaxation which is useful in anxiety by alternately tensing and relaxing the muscles.
Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.
Wish you good health.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Panic attacks and anxiety
- How are gerd and panic attacks treated
- Will valium suffice to treat anxiety issues and panic attacks
- How are panic attacks and generalized anxiety treated
- How are panic attacks and anxiety neurosis treated
- Anxiety depression panic attacks
- Overcoming anxiety and panic attacks
- How to treat panic attacks
- What is anxiety neurosis and how is it treated
- Zoloft for anxiety panic attacks